St Joseph’s Convent at Wingham was opened for business in 1935. The pioneer sisters used the old wooden church as a school until 1953 when a new church was built. In the ‘old’ church, the altar and classes were separated by a curtain on school days.
Infants and primary grades were taught until 1961, then three secondary classes were also conducted. The old church building continued to be a school until the present school was opened in 1974, with an enrolment of 80 pupils.
In 1982, the Wingham convent was closed and became the school administration and library. In both 2001 and 2010 the school underwent significant upgrades including a restoration of the old convent building, the building of new amenities, covered walkways, the new school hall, canteen and a new school library. In 2017, an additional classroom was built under the Capital Works Project, funded by the Catholic Schools Office, which allowed St Joseph’s to move into single stream classrooms. This room was designed by Russell McFarland Architects and built by Terry Cross (ALTEZ).
It has been an exciting time for Catholic education as the scale of the work and the level of funding to primary education have been unprecedented. The partnership between parish, school and the parents and the collaboration between architect and builder has ensured a sustainable and contemporary Catholic school here in Wingham.
St Joseph's Primary School recognises the traditional owners of the area, the Biripi people.
Our Parish Priest for the Parishes of Wingham and Taree is Fr George Anthicadu and Fr James Odoh, Assistant Priest.